Coastal Connect Health Information Exchange was created in 2011 as a way to securely connect healthcare providers and hospitals in and around southeastern North Carolina. By electronically sharing patient medical information, the connected entities increase the efficiency of patient care. Having patient information available in real time has decreased the duplication of tests and procedures as well as improved care management and the overall patient experience.
CCHIE provides a range of valuable applications that are central to the improvement of the practices’ workflow and patient care. For example,
- Physicians can coordinate medical care when they receive notification that one of their patients is in the Emergency Department
- Care providers can be alerted to an admission or discharge, so follow up care can be scheduled
- Physicians are able to follow inpatient care
- Providers have timely access to tests, procedures, and diagnostics, so a care plan can be established without duplication
- Physicians and other care team members can communicate in a secure encrypted environment
CCHIE has improved care coordination while reducing costs and administrative burdens across the continuum of care.
The area served by the Coastal Connect initiative is geographically and demographically diverse. CCHIE includes urban, suburban, and rural areas of southeastern NC with a significant portion of people either under insured or lacking insurance. Additionally, much of the connected area is under-served with available primary care physicians. (NC-DHHS data)
Provide timely, accurate, and secure patient health data for stakeholders and participants by delivering consistent and reliable information that supports care delivery, improves clinical outcomes, and drives efficiencies.
Coastal Connect Health Information Exchange continues to
- Be patient-centric
- Transform workflow
- Improve health outcomes for patients
- Be a trusted electronic information sharing platform among care team members
- Connect communities for access at the point of care
- Support data visibility within patient populations for quality and care management